Thursday, October 27, 2005

Emergency Notice About MacNify Widget

The MacNify widget was built using the one by Macmentor.org as a template. Macmentor.org is a wonderful site that is dedicated to new Mac users coming from Windows (aka switchers).

The founder of Macmentor.org just contacted me that the MacNify widget actually erases the Macmentor widget if you have both of them running on Dashboard. This is my bad! I realized that I duplicated the info.plist file and left an entry unchanged, which caused the problem. My sincere apology to the people at Macmentor. You have enabled me in such a great way and I feel all the more ashamed of this mistake.

To the MacNify widget users, I am taking this opportunity to show some simple steps to correct the MacNify widget from this nasty behavior. A newer MacNify widget that does away with this problem is on the way, but it will take about two weeks to be available. So please follow the simple steps to make changes for good.


  1. Look for where the MacNify widget is stored on your harddisk. It should be found at HOME(i.e. your account)->Library->Widgets. Or you can use Spotlight to locate it.

  2. Right-click or command-click on MacNify.wdgt and choose "Show Package Contents".

  3. A new window will pop up the screen. Open the file info.plist by double clicking it.

  4. In the info.plist file, locate the entry CFBundleIdentifier and change the value to com.apple.widget.macnify

  5. Save and close info.plist, as well as the window that shows the package contents.



This will solve the widget conflict issue.